Prior to making a career change be sure to consider the following:
1) Do your research to see if the new career is something you really want to do and can do; be open to several possibilities 2) 2) Do your homework: be clear on what it takes to succeed in that career. It may take applying for an internship or going back to school (college or training)
3) Schedule Informational Sessions/Interviews: Talk to individuals (preferably managers) in that career. Most professional people are open to meeting with you. If you cannot meet with management, meet with someone who currently works in that field
4) Take time to do a self-evaluation to ensure that the career change is right for you. Is it a good fit for your personality, life-style, and current responsibilities?
5) Once you decided on the career change, get a support system to help you stay focused and stay encouraged when you might want to give up. (A career change can be a tough and lonely process, but it can be rewarding, if you are up for the challenge)
6) Stay focused, stay determined and stay the course; even if you do not receive immediate opportunity and/or gratification
7) You may also want to reach out to a career coach to give you career guidance or a friend who really knows you