1) Wear clothing appropriate to the industry, position, your status and age (please wear clothes that are current and in style)
2) Wear an outfit that will flatter your body type
3) Avoid tight-fitting close or clothing that are too loose: Alter your clothing as needed to make them look custom-made
4) Wear colors that make you look radiant
5) Have a black, charcoal gray or navy blue suit/skirt or pants in your closet - (colors like beige, pinstripes or brown is also acceptable depending on the industry)
6) Have a white blouse and other soft colored blouses like lavender, pink or gray to go with your skirt or pants
7) Get fresh lifts on your shoes – (for rips in shoe material at the heel of shoes or in front of the toe of the shoes - cover over it with black nail polish or marker). This will camouflage the rips. Best suggestions - go to Shoe Maker
8) Cover gray hair with wig, hair dye, hair rinse, black or “hair” mascara appropriate to your hair color - you can get from neighborhood Beauty Supply store.
9) Wear monochromatic and one-color outfits, darker colors or vertical lines if you want to appear taller or slimmer
10) Wear horizontal lines if you want to appear larger or shorter (for example choose doubled breasted jacket instead of single bottom down jacket
11) Wear stockings: Try to get ultra-sheer or sheer -Wear off-black, nude or beige stockings depending on your skin color and outfit (avoid white, red, green and designs at every cost)
12) Wear appropriate accessories: post earrings and small loops are highly recommended; 2 pearl necklace – quality costume or real; men always wear tie (hanky optional and not necessary)
13) Wear black socks only. If absolutely necessary - navy blue socks only with navy blue suit
14) Wear soft and printed tie appropriate for business. Some even may try red multi-colored tie or just red tie (red tie can be risky but appropriate depending on the industry)
15) Wear at least 1 inch heels. Men make sure your shoes have heels as well; black, navy blue, dark gray are best; brown shoes are optional for men depending on the outfit. Your shoes must look professional, clean, and neat, polished and interview appropriate.
16) Always wear makeup; make-up done well will make you look younger; if you don’t know how to wear makeup, I strongly recommend you get a friend or family member to make-up your face. It really does make a difference and will enhance your appearance. If this is absolutely not an option try moisturizing and exfoliating your skin; make sure your lips are moist not shiny; get a lot of rest the night before so your face won’t look tired. And remember to arch your eyebrows. (men this might work as well for you if your eyebrows are rather unruly).
17) Be well groomed: nails, hair, facial hairs need to be removed or tapered
18) Wear haircuts and hairdo’s that frame your face and are interview appropriate
19) Cuff in pants for men are acceptable; cufflinks depends on the industry
20) Research on the right clothes for the industry you are aspiring to